2014 Lilac Festival Art Print Call for Entries
The 2014 Mackinac Island Lilac Festival Art Print Theme is Ste Anne's Church. Mediums accepted included watercolor, oil, or acrylic in portrait format only. The limited edition final art print/poster is 16" x 20" and will be available for sale in Island shops.
The application for this call for entries is due to the Art Committee by March 1, 2014. Please, do not send original artwork, instead have your work professionally photographed and send one jpeg, 300dpi and in CMYK format along with your bio. The winning painting will be selected on St. Patrick's Day and announced just after.
To contribute art for the competition, please please download the entry form here
Send your artwork and bio from this link only: http://mackinacisland.wetransfer.com
We will not accept mailed in entries or emailed entries, you must use the link above.
Series III Art Print Themes
2014 Ste Anne's Church (website)
Roman Catholicism came to the Straits of Mackinac through the self-sacrificing efforts of Jesuit Missionaries. The early history of the entire Great Lakes region echoes with the names of Jesuit priests and brothers. Father Jacques Marquette brought his refugee band of Huron Indians to the secluded safety of Mackinac Island. British authorities moved the Michilimackinac community to the safety of Mackinac Island during the American Revolution. Hoping to encourage the French-Canadian residents to move as well, Lieutenant Governor Patrick Sinclair ordered Ste. Anne Church dismantled and taken to the island in 1780. The sturdy log church was rebuilt along the shore of the island's protected bay below the towering bluff that became home to the new fort.
Madame Laframboise donated the property adjacent to her home when parish leaders decided to move the church and priest's house from their original location in the village to the current site on the east side of the island harbor in the mid 1820s. In exchange for her gift of land, Laframboise asked to be buried beneath the altar at the end of her life. Father Henri Van Renterghem honored her request when she died in 1846.
During this era, Ste. Anne's parishioners warmly welcomed Father Samuel Mazzuchelli to Mackinac Island. A twenty-three-year old, Italian-born Dominican, Mazzuchelli was Ste. Anne's first resident priest since 1765. With Laframboise's assistance, Father Mazzuehelli started a catholic school for island children.
2015 Trinity Church (website)
Trinity services on Mackinac Island date from 1837, when a bishop preached in the Mission Church. For many years the congregation met in the Post Chapel at Fort Mackinac, Mission Church and in the Court House. In 1873, a parish was organized and in 1882 this church building was constructed. Its furnishings include an altar of hand-carved walnut and two chancel chairs made by soldiers at the fort.
2016 Little Stone Church (website)
The Union Congregational Church began with the formation in August 1899 of a congregation known as the Union Church Society. The church structure was built of local fieldstone in 1904 with Deacons S.B. Poole and J.M. Leggett setting the cornerstones of the church.
Asbury W. Buckley of Chicago was the architect and the Koepke Brothers of Petoskey were hired as contractors. Local builder Frank Rounds and his crew gathered glacial-erratic fieldstones to construct the church. The granite cut stones used for the buttresses and courses surrounding windows and the door must have been transported as they are not indigenous to the Island.
During its early years, the church was served by Presbyterian, Methodist and Congregational ministers. Its formal name reflects the ecumenical spirit of the founders and their leaders. A few years after it was constructed, the name "Little Stone Church" came into common usage. As member Lorabeth Fitzgerald commented, "This name seems to reflect the affection that members and visitors alike hold for this little church."
The three church windows on the right of this page represent scenes in the history of Mackinac Island. The top window shows Robert Stuart, John Jacob Astor's agent for the American Fur Trading Company, negotiating with voyageurs. Stuart, in the blue coat, points to a scroll that may be an account of their business dealings.
The middle window features Presbyterian missionary William Ferry. Ferry, sponsored by the United Foreign Mission Socitety of New York, established a school for Indian children in the Island's Mission House in 1825.
The bottom window at the right represents Shusco, a Native American converted to Christianity by Reverend Ferry, reading his Bible to his fellow tribesmen. The three windows were dedicated to Gurdon Saltonstall Hubbard of Chicago, who spent ten years on the Island during the 1800s. Installed in 1914, all fourteen windows of the church were made by the Lamb Studios, founded in 1857 and now the oldest continuously operating stained glass studio in the United States.
The Little Stone Church, a registered Michigan Historic Site, celebrated the centennial of its founding congregation in 1999.
2013 Historic Mission Church
Winner: Noel Skiba
Historic Mission Church represents the first Protestant work among the Native Americans at Mackinac and is the oldest surviving church building in Michigan. Local Evangelical Protestants built the New England style Mission Church during 1829-1830. The church was lead by Revered William Ferry and his wife Amanda, who were missionaries with the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Mission. Fur traders Robert Stuart, Henry Schoolcraft, and their wives, as well as soldiers and colorfully clad Native Americans, shared the fiery sermons of the Reverend William Ferry, best known of the early ministers.
When the fur trade declined, the church was sold and later used for political meetings, theatrical plays, and for a few years in the mid-1870s for Catholic services while Ste. Anne's was built. The Mackinac Island State Park Commission acquired the church in 1968 and conducted considerable restoration in the mid-1980s. In recent years, thanks to the generosity of John and Penny Bar, there has been extensive restoration to the church, including the church basement.
Excerpt provided by Mackinac State Historic Parks
2013 Lilac Festival Art Print by Noel Skiba
Noel Skiba, of Rockford and Mackinac Island, Michigan as well as Key West, Florida takes first place in the annual Mackinac Island Lilac Festival Art Print Competition. Second place was given to Trevor Freeman, an artist working and living in Sault Ste Marie, Michigan. Third Place was a tie between Harbor Springs artist Kevin Barton and Mackinac Island/Travers City artist Diane Neyer. Skiba, Barton and Neyer have all won the competition in years past with Freeman garnering his spot for the first time in this exciting art call for entries.
To read more about all of the artists and to view their works, please click here.
About The Lilac Festival Art Poster Competition
Since 1993, we have offered an official Mackinac Island Lilac Festival Poster. Past artists have included Marlee Brown, Richard Wolfgang, Joe Ciluffo, Betty Bea Washburn, Diane Neyer, Kevin Barton and Noel Skiba. Art Posters are available at select Island shops such as Paintings by Wolfgang, La Galerie, Island Bookstore, Thunderbird Gifts, Market Street Gallery, Lilacs & Lace, Brewster's, Balsam Shop, Loon Feather and Victorian Summer Gallery.
From May through October they may be ordered from the Mackinac Island Tourism Bureau from November to April, call (800) 454-5227 to order. The suggested retail price for each art poster is just $9.50 and a portion of the proceeds benefit the festival directly.